It has been more than a week since my last post. I just got a bit busy with the holidays and was not really able to sit on my desk and blog. I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year celebration, because I had a blast!
Now for my recipe today, I will be sharing a simple yet very appetizing side dish especially for us Filipinos. It is a recipe that can be prepared for about 15 minutes. I am going vegetarian today, here is my Ensaladang Talong, or Eggplant Salad dish.
This light and healthy oil-free salad is prepared by either steaming, mashing or cutting the grilled eggplant into smaller pieces. The basic recipe is a mixture of fresh onions and tomatoes and the dressing is made by combining garlic, vinegar, soy sauce and chili peppers for those who wants it tangy.
- 4 Chinese Eggplants (medium size), sliced into small cubes
- 2 onions, sliced into small cubes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced and cubed
- 3 green chili, sliced into small pieces
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- In a medium sized pot, put the sliced eggplant and cook under medium heat.
- Season with the black pepper, put the salt and the green chili
- Cover and cook for about 10minutes until the eggplant is soft and mashy.
- Put the cooked eggplant in a bowl, mix the tomatoes, onions, the vinegar, sugar
- Add salt or pepper according to your taste preference.
- Serve and enjoy your eggplant salad as a side dish, together with any pork, fish or chicken dish.
So there you go. There are actually several variations on how Filipinos make this eggplant salad recipe. The most common way of ccoking the eggplant is by grilling it and peeling the skin. Others want their eggplant steamed. I just shared to you my version of preparing this eggplant salad and I think it is the easiest and fastest too.
I hope you enjoy this dish. Give it a try. How do you cook your eggplant salad? If you have your own version, share it and please do chime in..leave me a comment!
Related articles across the web
You may also be interested on these